Friday, December 21, 2012

To Plan or Not to Plan

Last night, I finally got the chance to sit down with one of my great guy friends at American University. He and I both have had insanely crazy semesters that have caused us to put hang-outs on hold for awhile. While I give him a hard time constantly, he truly is a great friend of mine who I tell almost everything. There are things that I tell him that I don't tell others. He's just incredibly straight forward and will call me out when I get into this ridiculous mentality.

He has had some awesome opportunities this semester (rockstar, this kid) so one of my questions during dinner was: What are some life lessons that you've gained?

Let me tell you, the number of things he listed off can be put in a book. One thing he said that stuck with me was, "Don't just do what you think fits the 'model' of your perfect life."

As I've said before, I'm the "Type-A planner type of gal." And, this friend of mine knows it and gives me a tough time for it always! The more I move forward in life the more this rings true. It is nearly impossible for a person to plan out every single aspect of his or her life. I can't do it. You can't do it. Nobody can do it. There will always be something out of your control. Planning EVERYTHING can be dangerous. Typically, at the end of the road is nothing but disappointment. Trust me, I've been there one too many times.

After dinner last night, I actually had to pause and think about where I am currently. You can say that a lot of things are going my way right now but at the same time, I can't keep going down this road where I force things to fit into this model of a life of mine (i.e. dating, relationships, marriage, career, family). While it's smart to plan the general direction of where you want to go, you really can't
micromanage every aspect.

One of my resolutions for 2013: Let go. Step out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment