Thursday, May 17, 2012

Why Are We in Wenzhou?

"Why are we in Wenzhou?" This question ran through all of our minds...multiple times during our two day stay.

When I thought Hangzhou had very few foreigners, I should've waited for Wenzhou. I'm pretty sure that my friends and I were one of the only few foreigners in Wenzhou besides the Turkish ice cream guy we met. We got some weird stares, people chattered, people pointed.

We got into Wenzhou our first day pretty late so the only thing we had time to do was find some dinner. Thing is, our hotel wasn't really in a "commercial" part of town so we settled on a hole-in-the-wall restaurant on the side of the street. The group decided to pick a restaurant that served Fuzhou-cuisine. If you all know anything about me, you know that this was done intentionally because my family is from Fuzhou. The group wanted to try some authentic Fuzhou food.

After a few confused looks from the owner of the restaurant, we finally got some home-cooked food and chowed down. Over a table full of food and beverages, we all sat around enjoying food and sharing stories with one another. My favorite kind of night!

Funny thing about Wenzhou? There isn't even a full page of things to do in this city in our travel book. Since we didn't have a site visit in this city, we thought: "Why not hit up the amusement park?" The second I got off that ferry and stepped onto that island/amusement park, I started laughing. We all felt as though we were in the Twilight Zone. SERIOUSLY. No one was there and it was completely silent except for the creepy music playing. There really are no words to describe this place.

Sad how this one photo sums up Wenzhou and our time in this city
Top: View of Wenzhou before boarding the ferry to the island
Bottom Left: Tower on the island
Bottom Middle: We decided to have some fun on a kid's playground. Two grown men on a swingset?
Bottom Right: We were highly entertained by the Turkish ice cream man.

Wenzhou was extremely odd and to be honest, I don't even know how exactly to describe this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment