Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lent Progress: Struggling

When I first decided to give up Starbucks/coffee/caffeine for Lent, I honestly did not think I would last a week. It was going to take a lot of self-control and strength from God. Am I surprised that I'm sitting here without a single sip? Oh yes! I spent last Sunday at Starbucks studying the entire day and that was a huge temptation that I was able to suppress. Did I stare with envy at those who were enjoying their fancy schmanzy drinks? Yup...maybe for a little too long at times. I do apologize for making anyone feel uncomfortable! But, I took a step back and remembered the true meaning and purpose behind Lent. At that point, it didn't matter if I was the only one sitting at Starbucks not enjoying a drink!

One thing I didn't take into account when I made my decision for Lent was my ridiculous life right now. As a full-time employee and full-time student, I forgot that things are a bit...hectic at this moment. Scratch that, things are quite miserable at times; particularly in the morning hours. I completely forgot that midterms is smack-dab right in the middle of Lent. Yes, hello midterms. We are NOT friends...nor will we ever be. 

This week has been...terrible. For five days, I had that "lack of caffeine" migraine which I happily pushed through. But, then came group projects, papers, reading, and studying that needed to get done. Just between Monday - Thursday, I've probably averaged about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I clocked in about an hour of sleep Tuesday night? Yeah, you try doing that without any caffeine. I'm mentally, physically, and even emotionally drained. When is my next break?? 

But in the midst of all the complaining and exhaustion, I searched and searched for joy. Let me tell you. It took a lot of prayer and quieting the heart. But, I'm incredibly grateful for everything in my life at this moment and the opportunities that have been presented. No regrets for a single second! 

Here's to week 2 of caffeine-free Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment