Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Worm: Set-Apart Femininity

I am a self-professed book worm. I think it's crazy when people say, "I would love to do more pleasure reading but I don't have time because of school." Prior to junior year of college, I was one of those people. But, do you know what I say? NON-SENSE! There's always time for pleasure reading. Consider this: how much time do you spend on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and any other social media platform? How much time do you spend watching tv? If you have time for those things, then you most definitely have time for a little bit of reading!

Since junior year, I try and make time to read every day. It's usually when I first wake up in the morning or before I go to bed. Half an hour is all I need! Typically I have at least two books going on: one fun, easy reading and the other a ministry related book.

One book that is completely convicting my heart and rocking my world is Leslie Ludy's Set-Apart Femininity.

From the first sentence, I was hooked in and couldn't stop reading. In many different parts of the book, I find myself re-reading the sections because it speaks so much to me and so hard to move past. God's been using this book to open my eyes and heart to understand what it truly means to live a Christ-centered and intentional life.

My goal is to write about a chapter a week and share with y'all what the Lord is convicting my heart of through this book! I'm so excited! Down below are just a few quotations from the first subchapter of the first chapter that really made me stop and reflect.

"Jesus is the only One who can truly satisfy the deepest desires of our hearts. And yet, most of us turn to everything but Him in a desperate attempt to find the approval we crave. And pop culture preys upon our longings for love like a relentless vulture (11)."

"We've been looking for beauty in the wrong place. And our incessant search for beauty has stripped us of all that is truly beautiful (12)."

No comments:

Post a Comment