Monday, July 23, 2012

Move Over Olympics, Hello US Open Series

Before I even think about the Olympics, my mind is all over the tennis US Open Series presented by Emirates Airline. The North American tour kicked off last week in Atlanta with the BB&T Atlanta Open and oh my, the first tournament did not disappoint!

The Olympics have qualifying trials for sports like swimming, diving, gymnastics, track, etc. In a way, the BB&T Atlanta Open was the qualifying trials for tennis even though the Olympic team was selected a couple of weeks ago. Present at last week's tournament was the US Olympics tennis team: John Isner, Andy Roddick, Ryan Harrison, and Donald Young.

As I sat on my couch watching the semis and finals of the Atlanta tournament, I couldn't help but feel a sense of USA pride! There truly is nothing like the sport of tennis bringing a community together. Atlanta is such a huge tennis community, and it was awesome watching this tournament succeed because of these tennis fanatics. Biggest match of the tournament? The evening semi-final match between John and Andy. Nothing like two Americans battling it out for a spot in the finals. Can anyone say, drama-filled match? Both players played some amazing tennis and the crowd was so into the match! In the end, the veteran Roddick prevailed. Don't be so quick to write Andy Roddick off! I think he still has a couple more seasons in him.

What I love the most about the US Open Series is that it is in North America! The majority of the tour is in the United States and it makes me so excited to see tennis being rejuvenated in the United States! It all leads up to the glamorous US Open at the end of August. The tennis is amazing, but the one thing that beats the tennis are the commercials. Y'all, go watch one of the "It Must be Love" commercials. I tear up everytime and melt at the drama! Inspirational, truly inspirational.

Now, go watch some US Open Series action. Who needs the Olympics?

No comments:

Post a Comment