Monday, April 30, 2012

Let's Get Down to Business Shanghai Style

I can't believe that today was my last full day in Shanghai. Reflecting on my day right now, I couldn't have imagined spending it any other way. As a business student, I'm constantly curious to explore business opportunities anywhere I go. Being in Shanghai doesn't change that. In fact, it only made me even more interested. Shanghai is China's commericial and financial center. The city is FILLED with these tall skyscrapers, especially Pudong where all the businesses are.

Day 3
Exploring Pudong District only made me want to live in Shanghai that much more. It consists of clean streets, modern buildings, cute shopping retailers, China's Wall Street, and the list could go on forever. Madison, Andrea, and I hit up the Shanghai World Financial Center, International Finance Center, as well is Jinmao Tower.

While being surrounded by these buildings, I found myself thinking "THIS is why I became a finance specialization. THIS is why I need to work hard and stick with it." It was just an incredible feeling being there.

The Shanghai World Financial Center was my favorite building. SWFC is the tallest skyscraper in mainland China and is the world's third tallest building. The building is shaped like a handlebar/bottlecap opener.

Such a beautiful building. I WANT TO WORK HERE!

Jinmao Tower. The detailing on this building is absolutely insane in a mesmerizing way.


After falling in love with these financial buildings, we came across a macaroon shop in Pudong. I have never had a macaroon before and have always wanted to. I thought, why not. Let's go! The lady at the shop said that the most popular flavor was Tiramisu so I went with it. It was delicious and I am now officially hooked!


I was extremely tempted to buy one of every kind. Unfortunately, a price tag of 10 kuai for each one was a little out of my price range.
 
With my macaroon in hand, the three of us hopped onto the subway and headed to Shanghai Fudan University. This campus is the complete opposite of my university in Beijing, Peking University. Peking University is one of China's ivy league schools ranked at number 1. The campus has these buildings incorporating China's history and culture. On the other hand, Fudan University is ranked at number 3 and the campus is modern and very open. It reminded me of an American college campus with its quad! Quad-ing anyone?
 
The main attraction at the Fudan University campus: the Two Towers
 
At the gate of Fudan University
 
My three days in Shanghai were incredible! I have a feeling that I will be seeing Shanghai VERY SOON.
 
Next up: Hangzhou!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment