Monday, April 30, 2012

Romping Around Shanghai

Spending my last night in Shanghai blogging about my adventures! The lady at the hotel bar was kind enough to let me hole up in a corner, blast my Spotify playlist, and work away on the WIFI. Very grateful!

I have loved every second in Shanghai and am in love with this city. It is completely different than Beijing in that it's very modern and business oriented. Such a bummer that I haven't been able to blog every day but let me catch you up right now.

Day 1
We left Beijing Friday night on an overnight train to Shanghai. The train was MUCH better than what I had envisioned. I thought we were going to be sitting in seats for the entire twelve hours but instead we had these soft sleepers. Each compartment had four beds which was perfect for us. The four of us kindly asked some natives to allow us to all move into one compartment and one of the guys was in a different compartment. We stayed up chatting away, getting to know one another, and playing cards. We woke up early Saturday morning, got off the train and rushed over to the hotel to drop our luggage off. With a 10 minute time limit, we got changed into business casual and jumped into a cab to our first site visit. I'm pretty sure that we scared our cab driver because the five of us squeezed into a tiny cab and forced him to drive. Pretty much, I felt as though I were in America's Next Top Model headed out on a go-see.

After sitting in the cab for an hour we finally reached our first site and it was a marine engineering company. They build ships, yachts, platforms, and all kinds of different structures. It was definitely a good warm-up first site visit to get myself back into the swing of being a business student. The company was so incredibly welcoming to us and even gave us a sneak peek into their 3D simulation program. RAD.

Later on in the day we headed back into the city and hit up Yuyuan Gardens. I've heard great things about the garden and it didn't fail! There were little ponds with fish, pretty archways, and the scenery was beautiful!

Mini photo shoot with my trip-roomies at Yuyuan Gardens

It was a great first day to kick off the Shanghai leg of our study trip. Day 2 coming up in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment