Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beijing Job Fair

Last Friday my Chinese professor was nice enough to cancel class and take us on a little adventure to a job fair. As always, I didn't really know what to fully expect. My expectations were pretty low though as my professor told us that we didn't have to be in full professional dress; casual was fine.

The job fair was generally targetted towards those in the IT industry. The venue was quite small and only had a few booths. Although the event didn't exactly align with my major and career aspirations, it was still a great experience to attend a job fair in a different country. I have realized that many of the job opportunities in China are IT, service, and sales related. Interesting, right? All of the companies and recruiters were extremely laid back and not many of them were dressed in professional suits. When I sat down to talk with them it had nothing to do with the job. I'm pretty sure they were more interested in talking to an American than actually hiring me.

Overall, it was a great experience. I'm really looking forward to one of the job fairs in April with multinational corporations. I will be all over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment