Thursday, March 8, 2012

Let's Catch Up

Hey y'all!

I apologize for being totally MIA this past week. To say it's been busy, stressful, and absolutely insane would be a minor understatement. Ask my parents. I had a tiny meltdown when I was Skyping them on Monday. It seems as though no matter where I go, I always find a way to completely bog myself down with an endless list of things to accomplish. I promised myself that I'd take this semester easy but I guess I was wrong about that. Pretty much my time has been consumed by my internship and school (aka Chinese class). Fun, right? But in reality, I'm starting to see the intersect between the two so I guess I'll stop dreading my Chinese class. It has actually been quite helpful.

Today has been FABULOUS. Went out to Starbucks before my afternoon tutoring session and studied for this Chinese midterm I have coming up. It was incredibly refreshing to take a mini break and get away from campus to sit and be surrounded by people! It made me realize that I actually do, in fact, like living in Beijing! I'm also convinced that the state of the weather has a direct correlation with my mood. Beijing was beautiful, nice, clear, and sunny today and guess what, my mood was also up. Keep it up Beijing weather.

My week recapped:
1. Weekend: Even though I'm committed to interning and working hard in classes, I still try once in awhile to have some fun. That's the point of study abroad, right? To have fun? I met some awesome Americans here in Beijing who have AMAZING Chinese. We've gotten into a routine where we hang out every Friday and/or Saturday night. Last weekend was super laid back and we had dinner and watched a movie at a friend's house. One of the guys had me on the floor dying from laughter. He's pretty much just like me but even more sarcastic. Try and imagine that...yeah. We also went out and had Mexican food! That was quite the adventure. Definitely keep your eyes out for a post about that. It was hilarious.

2. Midterms: Ok, so midterms technically start on Monday but my "midterms" week starts the week before because I start studying the week prior to exams. I hate cramming and waiting till last minute so I like to spread my studying out. Plus, there was no way I could possibly cram five chapters of Chinese into this brain of mine within two days. There's just no way.

3. Presentation: Another source of my stress?? At work my supervisor had three of us create a presentation on an event we had all attended last week. The tricky part was, each of us had to present in the language that we were less comfortable with. For me, that would be Chinese. A ten minute presentation...in Chinese...by myself. Yup, I would label that as a stressor. But, to my surprise I did pretty well. I went in confident and the presentation went smoothly! I was able to understand and throughly answer all questions in Chinese. Chinese class has really been helping! SUCCESS.

That's pretty much the recap of what you all missed in my oh-so-exciting (but not really) life in Beijing. It's back to studying for these midterms for me! Only 4 more days until I board a plane to my grandparents in Fuzhou for Spring Break. It's not like I'm counting down the days or anything...


PS. dWa is hosting a super cute E. Olsen Designs giveaway over at her blog (Prep In Your Step). Monogrammed hair bows? Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment