Thursday, February 16, 2012

Busy Thursday

I'm going to be double posting today since my internet wasn't working last night. It kept dropping my Skype calls with my Biggie, Kendall. RUDE.

Yesterday was my FIRST whole day at work. The work culture here in Beijing is completely different than that of the US. ...well, maybe my office may be the exception since we have a UK director rather than a Chinese director. My friends who have Chinese bosses say that no one works in the office and it's pretty much social hour. Oh no, not at Octagon. Everyone legit works straight through the day and is insanely quiet. The set hours are 9:30-6:30pm but in reality, many of them work until about 8:30 or 9pm everyday.

I got into the office (treated myself to a Starbucks Hazelnut Latte. DIVINE.) and began working. Research, research, research. It was great though. I'm learning so much and my boss caught me by surprise when he said that this account is pretty much my own account. Seriously?? So, I get to be making phone calls next week. It was only my second real day, and I've already been entrusted with so many responsibilities. Lunch time was great and hectic and I LOVED getting to know my co-workers who had me laughing the entire time.

By the end of the night, around 6pm my boss literally had to kick me out of the office.
Boss: What the hell are you still doing here?
Me: ....working? Doing research?
Boss: Go. Get out. HAVE A LIFE.
Me: But, I won't be here until Tuesday and need to get this done.
Boss: You are an unpaid intern. Stop working so hard. I don't want to be the one keeping you from having a good time in Beijing.
What made this whole conversation even better was that accent of his. DAY MADE.

It was an eventful first full day and I can't wait to get back next week into the world of INSANITY since we have a show. But first, I gotta get through today--class, going to record myself speaking English to make some extra spending money, and class again. At least it's Friday?

PS Did I mention some of my writing will be on Mastercard billboards/promo material in China. Like I said, I love my job.

PPS I need to find the perfect outfits for a press conference and concert next week. Any suggestions?




1 comment:

  1. I hope you will be coming home at the end of the program. dad

    ReplyDelete