Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Life as an Intern

There is never a single dull day as an intern in Beijing. Each day is completely different and something exciting always happens. ...or at least it's exciting for me? I don't know but everyday this week has been hilarious. Whenever I'm running around getting an errand done or heading somewhere I always find myself in a situation that only would happen to me. What I mean is, I am directionally challenged and I always get lost.

On Tuesday I was asked to go to this electronic store to find a replacement cord for the external hard-drive that I needed access to. One of my coworkers drew a picture for me and I found the store perfectly fine. The funny part would occur the second I walked into this building. "Electronic store" is definitely an understatement for this place. It was a four-story building that was HUGE and there were little stands everywhere. People were shouting at me, trying to pull me into their stand to buy something, or attempting to take my iPhone and sell me another one. What was even funnier would be me...trying to talk about technology...in Chinese. The second I said "external hard-drive" in English the salesmen got scared and shuffled me off to the next person. Yup, English is intimidating? Needless to say, I walked out the store empty handed.

After the whole electronic store adventure I found out I'd be headed out to observe a focus group! This was a first for me and of course I got lost getting to the building but once I got there I did recognize a couple other people from different companies whom I met last week. The focus group was incredibly interesting but I don't think I can share much about it. I'm sorry!

Yesterday at my internship was hilarious. Last minute we needed to scramble and find some CDs that the artists need to autograph. The problem is, in China pirated CDs are very common and real legitimate CDs are very difficult to find. So, Karen was sent off to find CDs! Before I went out though, I did want to make sure that the store had the CDs in stock. That phone call was another "roll on the floor" laughing conversation. I had everyone's attention in the office as I was making this phone call and stumbling through with my Chinese. It was a sight to see...more like, conversation to hear. For the third time this week, I got lost but eventually found where I needed to go and I am now guarding these CDs as I will have to deliver them to the venue today.

See, everyday is just an adventure! My life as an intern is simply too entertaining!

Typical Wednesday night dinner for me. Baozi, jiaozi and some bubble tea! By the time I get back to campus I'm starving because I don't eat at all on Wednesdays. Like I said, life as an intern. I am absolutely addicted to the taro bubble tea here. It is fabulous. Is it also sad that the man at the stand now knows me? If I can't get my daily dose of coffee then bubble tea it is!

Came home to find a letter from my Big, Kendall, sitting at the front desk of my building! What a wonderful surprise to come home to after a long day! It was the perfect Valentine...and she wrote some Chinese! LOVE HER.

Me with the CDs I had to pick up last night. YES, THAT'S RIGHT. iL DIVO IS PERFORMING IN BEIJING TONIGHT. I am so, so bummed I won't be able to go tonight. They are literally my favorite quartet on this planet. I know, I'm an old soul.  

Anything exciting happening in your lives right now??

No comments:

Post a Comment