Friday, February 24, 2012

First Concert in China with a Boy Band

***I've actually had this post all written up 3 days ago but my Internet was being uncooperative!***

6:30am alarm went off and it was not a pleasant surprise. While I was getting ready for work, I found myself dancing around the room to Westlife. Did I incorporate some of their cheesy choreography? Maybe...maybe not.

Last night was absolutely exhausting and I'm feeling it today. My entire body is sore and hating me. But, in the end working at the Westlife concert last night was so worth it. Excuse me body, you're going to have to forgive me, but I care and love the experience more.

After class, I scarfed down lunch and dashed over to MasterCard Center and met Jenny around 2pm to start setting things up. We set up about 300 some seat covers with MasterCard branding, made sure everything was set up at the interactive stage and rooms. There was a last minute emergency but as two pros, we resolved the problem real fast. The concert was hilarious. It was a sold out show and Beijing was actually Westlife's first stop on their Farewell Tour. I've honestly never seen so many Chinese people more excited than last night. People were shouting (I had a girl shouting in my ear the entire night), standing on chairs, singing lyrics, waving the millions of glowsticks that they bought, and it was definitely a different experience than in the States. It was really cool to see the differences of the two country in terms of entertainment.

Going into this Westlife concert, I had some pretty low expectations, I mean a boy band? But, I'm going to admit, the concert was fun and I think it was because of the people I was with. They were hilarious. Some of my favorite songs from the set would be "World of Our Own", "I Will Reach You", their cover of Michael Buble's "Home", and the finale song, "Uptown Girls" that had me laughing the entire song. They also covered Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" but come on, trying to top Josh Groban? Yeah, right.

I have to say though, my favorite part of the entire day, besides learning from Jenny all day, would be the sound check. We were setting up the seat covers during the sound check and it was really awesome to listen to them practice and seeing them interact with one another. Each of their personalities really came out. I also learned that only one of them could sing:  Shane. He's got the whole package. I forsee in his future a possible solo career.

Sound check

MasterCard VIP seat covers. I bet you those without a seat cover felt left out. Those seat covers look simple to put on but trust me when I say they're not. I have cuts on my hands as evidence.

The interactive stage Octagon created for the show. How awesome. It was a hit!

The Chinese crowd LOVES glowsticks and glow headbands...pretty much anything that glows.

The atmosphere was amazing

Finale: Uptown Girls

So sorry most of the pictures are blurry. My iPhone failed me! Can't wait till this week's concert. I may die...it's one of my favorite groups!




No comments:

Post a Comment