Friday, February 17, 2012

Sketchy Friday

I seem to have the tendency to find myself in very awkward and sketchy situations. Take today as an example. My friend told me about this easy job she heard about from a friend of hers. The job pretty much entailed Americans recording themselves speaking English. Most of these recordings are used by companies as instruction manuels and other who-knows-what purposes. It's 100 yuan per hour, sounded good to me?

After Chinese class I, along with 2 other friends took a cab to this place and when I stepped into the building I felt a little uneasy just because there was a ton of uncertainty looming around the whole situation. What if this wasn't legit and they kidnapped us?? One thing I didn't want was to be separated from my friends. What do you know, we get separated. The good thing was, I knew Chinese so I knew what they were saying and established some form of authority with them. Better not take advantage of me!

They took me into an empty room and I started recording different commands/phrases/sentences. It wasn't bad at all. Twenty minutes later I was done and got my stuff together, thinking I was leaving. Um, not quite. They then said that I now had to get into a taxi cab and record. At that point, I started freaking out. Getting into a cab with a random person, headed towards who knows where, without my friends. No, not going to happen. Being the cautious person that I am, I began asking a million questions and demanding answers. The answers didn't help but I got in the cab (I don't know why) and the person I was with just told the driver to drive around the block for twenty minutes as I recorded myself saying these English commands/phrases/sentences again. During the entire ride I kept looking up keeping tabs of where I was and making sure I wasn't being driven to somewhere random.

I sped through the recording, got out of the cab, took my hundred dollars and PEACED OUT. Nothing went wrong but I just felt uneasy the whole time. They asked me to come back again because they need more recordings done. We'll see, we'll see....

Some of the sentences were hilarious though and I had to contain my laughter. They made absolutely no sense. But, this was an experience and I came out of it alive and ok. I'll take it!


This is EXACTLY what I said when I got out of my last class today.

Happy Weekend!!


1 comment:

  1. those bao zi couldn't be that expensive. what the heck are you thinking about?

    ReplyDelete