Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wangfujing

Night Market. I was so prepared on Saturday to go into Wangfujing to eat scorpions and other nonsensical things. Seriously, I was. Once I got to the stand with my friends I completely wimped out. Can you blame me though? The baby scorpions were still alive on the skewers!! My friends bought one skewer of baby scorpions and the man threw them into the deep fryer. It felt as though I committed murder. Ryan went for them (he ate two) while the 3 girls stared and kept going back and forth. Amber and Andrea both finally gave in and downed a baby scorpion but I on the other hand couldn't bring myself to do it. I did nibble on a leg...gross. While we were huddled around this one skewer of baby scorpions taking turns eating them, we somehow drew a crowd around us? People began taking pictures of us and watching us as we had this life experience.

Regardless of whether or not I ate a baby scorpion, I loved being at Wangfujing. The atmosphere was electric and people were exploring, eating, shopping at the little stands on the street. It reeked though. Oh that smelly tofu gets to you. But, we just stood around the food stands to smell delicious lamb skewers, dumplings, and other yummy foods!

Right out of the subway station.
Gate to Wangfujing Night Market!

Opera performance

My friend Amber and I outside the gates of Wangfujing

Yup, all of those little critters are still alive....

At this point, I'm freaking out.

Look at that man creepin'. Sir, yes, I'm contemplating eating this scorpion.

Nibble, nibble. I think my facial expression explains it all...

Although I wimped out on eating an entire baby scorpion, my roommate and I treated ourselves and shared this DIVINE dessert. Strawberries on a stick, COVERED in sugar. Yup, that's crystallized sugar on those strawberries. Drooling just thinking about them.

So many people were walking around eating these poor little birdies. Couldn't bring myself to it.

Farewell Wangfujing! (...not sure what I'm doing in this picture...)


No comments:

Post a Comment